Aquaculture Tanks – Aquaculture is a green and sustainable way to hatch, raise, and harvest several types of marine life. Fish, shellfish, algae, and others from salt to fresh water can be farmed with aquaculture. National Storage Tank is pleased to support this industry with out top of the line containment tanks.
This method actually produces healthier fish and plant life. The oceans and other water bodies have pollution including mercury. By purchasing farm raised fished and aquatic plants you can be sure there is no pollution.
There are two chief forms of aquaculture. They are saltwater and fresh water. Saltwater is where you will find shell fish and certain species of fish, as well as certain plant life. Plant life like kelp, water chestnuts, and others can do well with aquaculture.
Benefits of Aquaculture and Why NST Supports This Underserved Industry
There are several benefits of aquaculture. These benefits include:
- Shellfish beds can restore waterways. These beds can be used for clams, oysters, and muscles. They reduce erosion of the shoreline. In some areas the shellfish have been completely lost, but with aquaculture shellfish beds it has restored the waterway. It also helps produce food, in a sustainable way, that is eco-friendly.
- Producing seafood with aquaculture alleviates food shortages and makes us more secure in feeding the nation.
- Aquaculture creates financial opportunities. It creates jobs in the aquaculture farms. Aquaculture creates financial opportunities. It creates jobs in the aquaculture farms. It also supports industries such as processing, feed, and equipment.
- It uses cutting-edge technology to concentrate on food creation and saving the environment.
- Helps keep us healthier by our seafood being cleaner. In aquaculture there is less chance that the fish you eat will pass mercury on to you.
- Aquaculture can also preserve cultural traditions. Traditions such as in Hawaii where they have fished for thousands of years by using ponds to grow and harvest fish.
- This type of sustainability nurtures international teamwork. By creating a wide-ranging scientific community that can exchange information. That exchange of information allows for newer better technology to move the aquaculture field forward.
- A resource to boost food production for a growing population in the world.
Methods of Aquaculture Production
There are four main methods of aquaculture farming. These include:
- Pond systems are the oldest form of aquaculture. They are usually in ponds, canals, or ditches. These areas have clay based soils that can form damns or dykes to make enclosures.
- Open net pens that have framework made from bamboo, wood, or metal. They float on a body of water and support a mesh enclosure. These pens are secured to the bottom or a nearby structure.
- Submersible net pens are submersed underwater instead of floating on it.
- Recirculating systems is a type of high tech pond made up of tanks. It is an inside system so there is no chance of contamination or pollution. Pipes care clean water in while old water is pumped out to a filtering system. Once filtered, the water is recirculated into the tank. This system is going to be more common in coming years.
Storage tanks for aquaculture farming
Tanks that can be used for aquaculture farming can be custom-made just like any of the agricultural tanks. Instead of vertical tanks they are horizontal tanks.
These tanks include the following.
Corrugated Bolted Steel Tanks are normally installed on a concrete floor. That means no flooring is needed for the tank itself. It will require anchors. Those anchors meet ASCE7-10 and all AWWA requirements. They have different roof systems available. They also have safety features such as guardrails and more. NSF-61 rated adaptable layer liner systems made from permitted materials by AWWA D130 are available.
Then of course there are your vertical storage tanks for water, wastewater, and other things. These include the following.
Bolted Steel Tanks can be used for various applications. Those include storage of numerous types of liquids. Liquids used in commercial manufacturing, drinking water, waste water, bulk materials and dry goods for industries. These tanks are ideal for bio-solids, sludge, fire protections, wastewater, and more. They range in capacity from 4,000 gallons up to 2,868,000 gallons. The size of these tanks makes them ideal to use for storage tanks for biogas and aquaculture.
Stainless Steel Welded Tanks these are single wall or double wall tanks that make them the perfect solution for fermenting tanks. They are perfect for chemical and fertilize storage tanks for farms or biogas tanks. They can also be used for drinking water, juice, and fire prevention. The size ranges from 100 gallons to 650,000 gallons.
Glass Fused to Steel Tanks this technology is truly the best for bio-solids, drinking water, bulk materials, and wastewater. These tanks will be the best solution for storing liquids such as liquid manure, dung water, liquid fertilizers and other chemicals within the range of chemical resistance of enamel. They are also perfect for storm water retention or re-use. These work horses are the ultimate solution in farm biogas tanks and aquaculture fishing farming. The size provides a range from 4,000 gallons to 2,868,000 gallons, so they will work for medium to larger sized farms and biogas plants
Welded Steel Tanks are the ultimate tanks for fire prevention for agricultural. They are also ideal for small commercial business use including biogas plants and aquaculture. The size ranges from 5,000 to 30,000 gallons.
Any combination of these tanks will work for your enclosed recirculation fish tanks for aquaculture.
Aquaculture farming with tanks is becoming one of the best ways to provide large quantities of seafoods to an ever-growing worldwide population. It also helps save our environment along water bodies like oceans and seas from erosion.
The more sustainable and eco-friendly we can make our food sources the more we can protect our planet and reduce harmful effects.
Aquaculture is more economically effective and provides jobs for many in the community.